About Me

My photo
hopeful holds the tension/ dew jewels cling the sway/ clasped tight against the world/ not yet knowing it's ok/ the waiting deepens color/ trying to accept every sun ray/ gathering its truth song/ beauty at bay so long/ awaiting opening to day/

Friday, August 7, 2009

"Just so we're clear, I have no interest in flying a plane without any brakes"

Switzerland is one hour ahead of the UK so plus one to the time posted below.

This morning, I woke up after 3 hours of sleep (there was a lot to do to get ready and I was out all day) and said goodbye to Sally and Northern Ireland. I got on a plane to Heathrow and then, hung out a bit in London, again, before boarding the plane to Geneva.
So, we false-started on a take off. Apparently, the computers were acting up. So, they "called the engineers" and, after an hour, we tried taking off again. This time, the computers indicated total brake failure (it's good that they can tell stuff like this before leaving the ground, I think, so instead of getting all huffy-impatient, I was relieved that we didn't find out that we couldn't stop by...well, not stopping...). So, they called the engineers again and, after about a(nother) hour or so, we were off. Then, after an hour plus the time change, we arrived in the most beautiful country in the world.
The two-hour train ride from Geneva to Bern (the capitol) broke my heart with its beauty. I don't know...I fell in love with Switzerland (a little mountain town called Grindewold, where I got my Swiss Army knife with my name on it) when I came here six years ago, too. Now, I'm with a friend - Matthias - who I met at the Seattle Vineyard (he goes to the Bern Vineyard) a year ago when he was doing doctoral research at the University near my church. He was on the same flight me and my ex-boyfriend were on to PA where we were going for a wedding in his family and Matthias was going back to Switzerland. Today is his 5 year anniversary with his beautiful wife and they just left to celebrate it. His two cute little boys don't speak English so it looks like our common language is charades. Oh, and if I could, I would move to Switzerland. Tomorrow.
(Quality's not great but this picture was taken from a fast-moving train's window! Fore-fore-ground: reflection of my hand in the window, foreground: beautiful Swiss villages, background: Lake Leman, farther-back-ground: Swiss Alps!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment