About Me

My photo
hopeful holds the tension/ dew jewels cling the sway/ clasped tight against the world/ not yet knowing it's ok/ the waiting deepens color/ trying to accept every sun ray/ gathering its truth song/ beauty at bay so long/ awaiting opening to day/

Saturday, August 8, 2009

En Lacheln in the City of Bern

So, for my first full day in Switzerland, it rained until about noon. Not "rain" like Seattle rain, rain like torrential downpour. So, the Vineyard Festival they were going to have today has been moved to next week - sad day since this time next week, I will be in Edinburgh (so not really "sad"). But, Matthias, his oldest son Lionel (pronounced Lee-oh-NELL), who is about three, walked around the city of Bern, a farmer's market, and an African festival where we got some wonderful African food. Everything in Switzerland is really expensive, so it's a good thing the Swiss Franc is not as strong against the dollar right now. I learned that Switzerland still uses Swiss Francs (CHF) because they are not part of the EU. The reason, at least according to Matthias - who is really involved in political lobbying and other really awesome stuff - this incredibly diplomatic nation is not part of the EU is because, although it would be a good political move, it would not be a good financial move. Switzerland is a very wealthy country and would probably end up supporting a lot of Europe that isn't as well off...
We walked around the city centre of Bern and found an African music troop - 3 guys and two gals in awesome costumes in a little niche between a few shops in this really outdoor mall. Their music actually made me cry a little bit (I've always really enjoyed African music) but then, they began to sing "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands" and I realized that the reason I was crying was because this was worship music. We stayed and listened to about 4 songs - Matthias was ready to go, but Lionel wanted to stay!
We also saw a guy whose English gave him away as "American" (technically, it's can be offense to say you're from "America" and assume that everyone knows that that means "the US" because Canadians, Mexicans, Costa Ricans, Brazilians, Chileans, etc. can all say they are Americans but, unfortunately, if you say you're from America, everyone will assume you mean the United States). He did speak some Swiss German, but his English accent was the same as mine. He was playing the guitar, making balloons for children and making marianettes perform to his own music (it was rather amazing). Actually, this guy sort of made me cry, too. I could tell that he REALLY loved what he was doing - and that went beyond "street performing"; he loved interacting with people. He would tell stories while he was making the balloons, mostly in English - I laughed a lot because he was really funny; I'm not sure how many people understood him. He did speak to the kids in Swiss German, though, as he was making balloons for them. At one point, Lionel goes up to him because he wanted a balloon, and, after the guy shaped into a parrot, he asked him what it was; Lionel said, "A balloon" (in Swiss German, balloon = balon). He would ask the kids for a smile before he made a balloon: "En lacheln normal es en balon; en lacheln largente (Sp?) es man balon!" (A normal smile is a normal balloon, a brilliant smile is a better balloon! - One girl gave a smile that caught in my chest, and she got two balloons twisted into a huge daisy flower!). The sign on his guitar case translated into "A smile makes the world go 'round." That's when I realized that that is one thing I could definitely do more of on my trip!
Then, after dinner (Anita is SUCH a good cook and the round-the-table fellowship is something my heart deeply desires: they offered wine and really good food and they even sang grace in English (for me)!), Anita and I went out to the once-a-year(!) street music festival in Bern (that didn't start until after 8:30 - which is very different from all the other countries I've been. Usually, things don't wait so late to start...). She said, "A Female Evening for us out and a male evening for them in!" I nearly cried - female fellowship is something I've been largely without. We walked around, saw performers, bands, people balancing rocks (which really was quite incredible)
This place feels SO different than Northern Ireland, it's hard to describe, but I am really a lot happier here. I'm not sure if it's just because I'm staying with a Christian family or what. This family is incredible - Matthias is SUCH a good man - gentle, patient father, loving, devoted husband, caring, considerate friend, lavish host (he's coming up with all these incredible things for me to do and people to do them with!). Anita doesn't speak as much English and their children do not speak any English at all (their youngest - Kai (like "sky" without the S") is only one and a half so he doesn't really speak and I definitely feel like I'm about on his level!), so it's a good brain stretcher to learn how to communicate nonverbally (especially since "verbal" is where my strength is). It's not like Amsterdam where everyone speaks English, either - so it's difficult, but a REALLY good experience. Matthias has to translate a lot, and also, I have to guess. It's awesome. And I love having people with me doing stuff. It makes me wonder if my being alone for a lot of the first part of my trip heightened the weight of the things I was struggling with...
**picture of swiss francs**
Speaking of strength and experience, I'm picking up a BIT of Swiss German. Swiss German ins to German as the English they speak in Scotland is to the English I speak (of all the English accents, I find Scottish people rather difficult to understand) - it's a strong accent with a few different words. So, platz = plaza, strass = street, bibliothek =library, musik - (obviously) music, nie (a very important word for children) = no, lacheln = smile (en = one/a) and bloema (?) = flower. Danke is thank you but people also say "merci" (which is french for thank you).
Also, the money here is different, too. In the UK, they have coins for 1 and 2 pounds (in the US, they switch to paper after 25 cents) but here in Switzerland, they don't start using paper until I think 10 CHF. They've got coins for 1, 2 and 5 CHF (as well as 10, 20 cents and 1/2 franc (50 cents I believe)). The denominations of money are fascinating, it really shows you how people think, at least for me. And, the way things are priced here, it doesn't seem like you get random amounts of change - that is, the divisions are "clean": so no pennies or even 5 cents, as far as I can tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment