About Me

My photo
hopeful holds the tension/ dew jewels cling the sway/ clasped tight against the world/ not yet knowing it's ok/ the waiting deepens color/ trying to accept every sun ray/ gathering its truth song/ beauty at bay so long/ awaiting opening to day/

Monday, August 3, 2009

Holland Part 3C: Mr. Objectivity

My first two nights in Amsterdam, I stayed in a hostel sort of on the outskirts on the main town, like, the last really main east-west ring (the street name is called Stadhouderskade) before the ending of major activity on the map, if that makes sense...
It was fun to walk around the area a bit - they had a lovely food market where I found some yummy mixed nuts, but there was something a bit "off" about this hostel. So, I was grateful that I got to leave on Sunday and head to Shelter Jordan, the hostel recommended by a team member of the A'Dam Vineyard church plant, where I would be spending the majority of my time. This hostel is on Bloemstraat (which means bloom or flower street!!) and is one of two Christian Hostels run by volunteers from all over the world who come to Amsterdam for however they long they wish (you have to apply and be accepted) and live in a staff house for free with all expenses paid and you get to take missionary classes, etc. (I'm looking more into this because it sounds AWESOME).
Breakfast is free and you get one of three choices every morning: muesli (a wonderful kind of Granola) with yogurt or milk and fruit, the "hot" breakfast (so, some sort of cooked thing like eggs, french toast, etc.) or the "cold" breakfast (two bread rolls, cheese, jam and butter. Each comes with a drink and free refill and it's all prepared by the volunteers. They offer a community meal for 5 Euros in the evening, you can buy a sack lunch for 4 Euros (these are REALLY good deals especially because they attempt to make these meals healthy and there are alternatives for people like who can't eat just anything). They have Bible discussions every night and evening prayer every night as well (all optional). I, of course, attended both as soon as I heard about it. I asked one of the Bible discussion leaders to read the passage (Psalm 19) in Dutch for me one evening - because how often do you get to do THAT in the States?!
Anyway, the last night I was there, an atheist came to the Bible discussion. He was a Missionary Kid from South Africa who said that he was a determinist and that he believed the whole point of life was to be happy and to transcend emotion and at the end of life, you just wink of existence into a "beautiful silence." He was big on philosophy and said that the Bible is a stupid book, Christianity covers itself over, if Christianity were really true then Christians would be much better people than they actually are (I know a number of people who reject Christ because of the hypocrisy of the church...and I used to be one of them, too), Christians are brainwashed, religion is an opiate for the masses used by people in power to control, and that it isn't rational at all; most people he knows are Christians because they "need" to believe. He lobbed every argument against Christianity at us he could think of - I especially liked the one that goes, "So, you'd think that if God were really there, He would DO something about the people that defile His name? Like, the people who are fucking up church and doing in the name of God? But, man, He's not intervening At. All."
Obviously, he's really hurt. But also, I think he's set himself up so that he won't see God; he thinks he "might be the first person ever to achieve objectivity" and what I wanted to say - in all my offendedness (Lord, I repent for not representing Your love and Your grace well that night) I was thinking, "Yes, that would be true if your very definition of "objectivity" (that is, "no God") wasn't flamingly subjective!".
So, I debated him. I mean, I could have proclaimed Christ and what he did for me. Another girl did just that - she's very sweet and she and I e-mail on facebook now - but it wasn't enough for this guy. He knows the story, I mean, he's a MISSIONARY'S kid. I'm learning that religion might not be a crutch but God, by definition IS - that's the way we were MADE. And, actually, determinism doesn't make a lick of sense. I'm not stupid, I studied chemical engineering for just long enough to wreck my GPa at CU. Determinism argues that IF a person could understand the position of each molecule in the universe, then he could predict the future outcome of history. He kept asking, "Who created God?" First of all, science itself says the universe has to have a beginning. Second of all, science itself says that human life is, baically, statistically impossible. Third, asking "Why existence at all?" is NOT an "emotional" question as he claims it is. It's a philosophical one, which he should know since he was big on philosophy. He even made the argument that the Christian God could not exist that goes like this:
"Suppose you ask, could God make a rock so big He Himself could not lift it? Either way you answer that question, you're conceding that there is something God cannot do." Like, wow. I don't know what to say to it, but what I want to say is that it's asking the wrong question. We SHOULD be asking - Did Jesus Christ die on the cross for sin? Does God have the power to save a world that, from my view, looks like it's rapidly going to Hell? Does Jesus have the power (the only power) to bring LASTING change (we call this transformation) to people's lives? Is there an afterlife?
Actually, I think the most important question is of how we respond to Jesus Christ. We cannot ignore him. The Resurrection of Christ is arguably the most historically proven (as much as something like this can be proved) fact. Jesus said he was God-made-Man and that all who believe on Him will have ever-lasting life. This guy was (is) either a liar, a lunatic, or the Lord Himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment