About Me

My photo
hopeful holds the tension/ dew jewels cling the sway/ clasped tight against the world/ not yet knowing it's ok/ the waiting deepens color/ trying to accept every sun ray/ gathering its truth song/ beauty at bay so long/ awaiting opening to day/

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Reduce, reuse, re...main?

Not everything is good about "remaining." Our current ways of doing things in terms of the amount of waste we produce simply isn't working. As Brian McClaren said at a "hotspot" interview on Sunday, "If we don't take the gospel to the three biggest problems I see facing us, then God help us." The FIRST one he mentioned was the environment: "If the environment goes the way it's going, your grandchildren (meaning the grandchildren of my generation) do not have a good future, if one at all." (The other two he mentioned were poverty and religion - did I already talk about this...?)

Anyway, it seems, from talking to the locals and just living here for about two and a half weeks, that the UK is, in some ways, about twenty years behind the US. The recycling laws (and they are laws because people seem to follow authority more than what's best for them and the planet) differ per county - what can be recycled, where it goes, how it's recycled, it's exhausting. I feel so guilty for how much I've thrown away here, simply because there aren't facilities to not throw things away. I'm scared for the health of our planet because me trashing Northern Ireland isn't too different from me throwing stuff away back home. We've only got one planet, guys. I'm not sure why people are so slow to wake up to that fact.
Thank goodness there were booths and tables and books and stands at Summer Madness on Sunday to deal with these issues. This booth, I think, really calls it like it is: "Climate Chaos." It's not just climate change, people. We have no idea what's going on - all the "weird weather we've been having lately" - like, it's been HOT here in Belfast...which is, apparently, "weird", even for summer. Gosh I hope people make the connection soon.

I'm heading to Dublin in about a half hour, and I'm not entirely sure where I'm going. Part of me is very nervous (shaking while I'm typing) because I don't have EXACT directions and could get really lost, but I think that is partly my fear of "imposing" - that is, asking for help. It really shouldn't be that hard, Megan. Everyone here has been really friendly, especially once I open my mouth or try to cross the street (both events really reveal that I'm totally not from anywhere around here...). It's going to be ok. Especially because the event God has graced me with attending is going to be really cool, from the looks of it. This time I am actually staying in a hostel so I'm not taking my computer - they say they've got internet there, but in case that doesn't work, or I don't have time, I'll be back in about a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment