About Me

My photo
hopeful holds the tension/ dew jewels cling the sway/ clasped tight against the world/ not yet knowing it's ok/ the waiting deepens color/ trying to accept every sun ray/ gathering its truth song/ beauty at bay so long/ awaiting opening to day/

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Holland Part 1: Water into Wijn

Here I am, back from The 'Dam! I realized that I fly out on what would have been my grandfather's 84th birthday...
Anyway, I ended up going to about three different cities in Holland. The first major outing I did was meeting up with some friends of a friend who are planting a church in Amsterdam; the team based out of the Columbus Vineyard in Ohio moved to A'Dam about a year ago and have begun the preliminary work for planting a Vineyard there. On Sunday, I was invited over to a girl's flat for breakfast (which she cooked!) and hang-out time before our excursion to the first Vineyard in Holland, in the city of Wageningen (pronounced something like Va-CKKen-Ay-CKKKKen). The worship, announcements and prayers were all in Dutch; I could sing along in English to some of the music I recognized, and picked up on a few repeated phrases, so now I now how to say Lord (Heer), Jesus (Jezus), soul (sheel) and a few other things in Dutch! Dutch, like German, sounds enough like English to me that I can pick up the general topic of conversation when I'm listening to it but I can't really read it so much since they're pronunciations are very different (for example, oo=short o) from mine...The sermon was in English, but that's because it was given by the main guy in charge of the Amsterdam Vineyard plant, Eric Pickerel, and every sentence he spoke, we had to stop so it could be translated into Dutch. Overall, it was pretty awesome.
What was really fun was that, to get to to the Wageningen Vineyard, we had to take a train (an hour south) from A'Dam Centraal. I went with two girls who are part of the church planting team, and one girl who goes to another Vineyard in a nearby city (she's Dutch) - we got to ride bikes from the flat on level 3 of a really cute Dutch street to the Centraal to catch the train. The excursion took the entire day, which was wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment